Work in progress…a lot of it.

We have been really busy lately

Here is what we have been up to:

First, I have finisehd the sandpaper numerals. DS was super happy to have them to be able to work with them.

I went to an artist shop and bought already cut coasters to be painted. The size was just right, and I didn’t have to fuss to have them cut by DH. I painted them with the customary green, and glued the numbers on it.

I am not entriely happy with my choice of sandpaper. I will have to change for the letters. It is 120 grit, and it is too much. I am planning on using 220 the next time around.

I glued the numbers with carpenter’s glue, and left them to dry with a weight on them for an entire night. It worked like a charm

Touch tablets:

I felt like this was something that would be easy to do, and that I didn’t want to buy in a Montessori store. Well, I am glad that I did. This was a fun and easy projet.

Again, I bought 2 wooden plates at the artistic shop. No need to sand, or cut, it is already done for me. I then just had to glue the sandpaper pieces (again with carpernter’s glue) and voila.

Solar system activity

Since DS has been learing about the solar system in school, we have been talking and hearing about it a lot. SO I setted up an activity for DS about that

I used library pockets to put the 3 parts cards in them

it is a hit. But I hate the binding. Next time, I will use a spiral!

I used an old IKEA dish dryer rack to put it in. And I am planning to add other booklets about astronomy and geography to it.

Work in progress:

Sandpaper letters:

They are freshly painted. I want to give them a coat of varnish to protect them before putting the letters on it. DS cannot wit for these to be ready.

I used some thin wood sheet that i have found at my artistic store. Again, they are already sanded, and in a reasonable format to cut.

And with the remaining, I started to work on Teen/tens boards

They need assembling.

ADAPTATION:

Since we are doing this on a budget, and I cannot have it al,l all at the same time, I need to focus on the things that I think will be used for a long time, tht I cannot do, or that is very different from other material I own. The knobless cylinders where a big dilemma for me. I really wanted the kids to be able to work with the extensions, but just couldn’t justify the expense. So I decided to adapt the knobbed cylinders so that they can be used with the extension material of the knobless cylinders. Granted they cannot be stacked, but they can be used for the rest.

on each cylinder, I placed a little colored dot that matches the knobless color. If I feel like they don’t stick enough, I will cut a little piece of felt, and puch a hole in the middle for the knob. I’ll see in the next few days how that hold. But these blocks, they don,t come out enough often. I think I have to place them somewhere else.

As far as work in progress, we are still working towards normalization. They change way too much work in a short period of time. I don’t know, but I sure hope, that this will change soon…

Work in progress…a lot of it.

2 thoughts on “Work in progress…a lot of it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s